The construction of the park began in the late 1930s and the park was called “City Park in Arabkir”. After the Great Patriotic War, it was renamed into Victory Park, where trees were planted in the deserted areas.
The memorial to Victory Park was opened on November 29, 1950. On the same day, the statue of Stalin was placed in the park, The pedestal of statue was build by Rafael Israelyan the national architect of the USSR and the copper statue’s (17 meters height) author was the Soviet artist Sergei Mercurov.
In 1967 a monument (Mother Armenia, authored by Ara Haroutyunyan) was placed on the site of Statue of Stalin. In 1970, a museum dedicated to Armenia’s participation in the Great Patriotic War was erected in the Memorial Complex, which was renamed into the “Mother Armenia” Military Museum in 1995 (Under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Defense).